Why Early Orthodontic Treatment Matters
As parents, you want the best for your children, including keeping their oral health and smiles in tip-top condition. While orthodontic care at a very young age may not be something you’ve thought of, it can be a game-changer if your child has misaligned teeth and jaws. Orthodontics can help correct these misalignments and improve the functionality of teeth and jaws while improving the appearance of their smiles.
According to the Australian Society of Orthodontists, the ideal time to start early orthodontic treatment is between the ages of 7 and 10. This is because your child’s facial structure is still developing during this period, making it the perfect time to kickstart orthodontic care.
Why Consider Early Orthodontic Care?
Are you wondering when it’s time to consider early orthodontic intervention? Here are some warning signs that you should keep an eye out for:
- If your child is losing their teeth earlier than expected, it could be a sign of an orthodontic problem.
- Habits like thumb-sucking and breathing through the mouth can negatively affect tooth alignment and the development of the jaw.
- Overcrowded or protruding teeth indicate that your child needs early orthodontic care.
- Overcrowded teeth are harder to maintain and clean, leading to increased risk of decay and infections.
- Teeth that don’t align properly can also cause various speech difficulties. It can affect your child’s confidence and communication skills.
- Difficulties in chewing and biting due to orthodontic issues like an open bite.
Recognising these issues at their onset while the jaws and teeth of your child are still malleable helps our dentists make efficient and effective changes. Early intervention will not only reduce the risk of severe dental complications in the future but will also pave the way for a lifetime of healthy smiles.
What are the Benefits of Early Orthodontic Care?
Prevents Long-Term Dental Problems
Addressing orthodontic problems like overcrowding, crossbite, and crooked teeth early on can help ward off dental problems like tooth decay, tooth loss and infections. This, in turn, also reduces the need for complex and costly dental procedures later on in life.
Corrects Speech Impediments
A misaligned bite can cause speech difficulties, such as lisping, in your child, and it can significantly impact the confidence of your child. By opting for early orthodontic care, you can improve your child’s bite and make speaking and pronouncing words easy again.
The self-assurance and confidence that comes with a healthy, aligned smile is incomparable. When your child is content with their smile, they are more likely to smile, laugh and interact with their friends. This can also benefit their childhood development.
Misaligned and crooked teeth can make functions like chewing and swallowing challenging. By straightening teeth and aligning jaws, orthodontic treatment can aid digestion, making chewing and eating a breeze once more.
Early Orthodontic Solutions for Your Child
- Inman Aligners: Inman Aligners are a discreet orthodontic option designed to quickly address minor misalignment issues, such as front teeth crowding or protrusion.
- Clear Aligners (Invisalign & SmileStyler): Clear aligners like Invisalign and SmileStyler offer a comfortable and nearly invisible solution for orthodontic treatment, custom-made to gradually align your teeth without traditional braces.
- Traditional Braces: Traditional braces consist of metal brackets and wires, effectively correcting severe orthodontic issues through gradual adjustments, making them a reliable choice for comprehensive smile straightening.
- Preventative measures: Our dentists will also guide your child on healthy habits and exercises to maintain at home between appointments.
Contact us as soon as possible if you think your child could benefit from early orthodontic care. At Purity Dental, our team of friendly dental professionals are here to help your child achieve an aligned and healthy smile they’ll cherish for a lifetime.